Emerging market countries have become important partners and competitors, both economically and politically. But some 20 years after the euphoria around the BRIC countries Brazil, Russia, India and China, it is high time for a reappraising of the broad group of emerging markets. We have compiled a ranking that shows which of them are the most attractive for investors. In our view, Asian countries have the best chances of benefiting from the current economic recovery.
Topics of this issue:
- Emerging markets reappraised: Our ranking
- Special case China: Not yet a developed economy, but no longer an emerging market either
- Development economist Ricardo Hausmann on the effect of the pandemic: "The limited fiscal space hurts emerging countries"
- Sustainability: The transformation to a sustainable economy is a major challenge for emerging countries
- Portrait: Why Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala is the right woman to head the World Trade Organisation
- Globalisation: The pandemic has shown how fragile global supply chains are
- Entrepreneur Pankaj Agarwal reveals his best and worst investments
- Investment ideas: How to add emerging markets to your portfolio